Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Something to Say

I've always got something to say. Just ask my children. So a blog seems like a fun way to share my latest experiments in formulating some new wonderful product for the skin. Hope you will join my adventure.
Somebody asked me recently how I got started formulating products and I stumbled over my answer. I'm not one to come up with a quick answer, but later as I thought about it I realized that my fascination with formulating probably had its earliest roots in my experience with cancer and chemo. I don't think anybody walks away from cancer without some kind of a change in perspective. For me it was the realization that there is more than one way to do things as well as the understanding that I'm not really in charge.
However, I also became more aware of the many chemicals that surround us. We breath them, put them on our skin and eat them. Some chemicals used in cleaners were developed for chemical warfare. We put ingredients on our skin that may be cancer causing, or affect our nervous systems. But what are our options?
The options for safer product are increasing. We are becoming more informed as are the companies we purchase our products from. But no matter what a company claims about a product the only way to be sure what you are using is to learn what the ingredients are.
So my message is "read the labels". Learn what to look for and what to avoid. In fact, I challenge you to stop in the lotion section the next time you are at the store and see how many lotions contain mineral oil or anything with the word petroleum or just petro. This is the first ingredient I avoid. You'll be amazed how many lotions or lip balms have these ingredients in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment